Monday, June 30, 2008

classics of faith

over the past few months i have been indulging myself in some great fiction books, mostly pleasure reading. i love a good story written with beautiful words that reveal an aspect of the human heart or challenges of living life. but i have felt convicted to read more of God's Word and focus more on my spiritual growth. i have pulled some christian classics off my shelf and i am revisiting some books that were very influential in my young adult life, as i grappled with faith and life. Mere Christianity by c.s. lewis, The Pursuit of Holiness by jerry bridges, and The Hiding Place by corrie ten boom to name a few.

will you share with me the books that have caused you to grow in your walk with Christ? aside from the most important Book, what has influenced your faith?

5 comments:

Marci said...

Two books have been very influential on my life. One is fiction, but I try to read it every year at least once and I usually read it during or right after a very hard trial in my life. It is Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. The other one is a true source of conviction in my heart. It is A Chance To Die by Elisabeth Elliot. It is the biography of Amy Carmichal. There are others that I love, but these 2 are at the top.

stacy said...

marci ~ thank you so much for stopping by everyday gifts and for your book suggestions! i have read A Chance to Die, thanks for the reminder. isn't amy carmichal remarkable? i'll put Stepping Heavenward on my list!

Amy said...

Mere Chrisianity was the book that really influenced me. But you knew that already.

Anonymous said...

Stacy, What a neat request to make. I'll bet you get some more great suggestions. Mine would be Yet Will I Trust Him by Peg Rankin. So good on the Sovereignty of God, especially when life is hard, sad, or you just can't imagine "why".
Love you, Mom

Marci said...

Stacy, as you begin to read Stepping Heavenward, you will wonder why I went on about it. Keep reading. It is a diary of a young girls spiritual journey. It starts off when she is young and very immature. =) The person who gave me the book went on and on about it. I started reading it and called her and asked why she wanted me to read it. She told me to just keep reading. I am so glad I did.